Volunteering at Shelter Valley is a rewarding and enriching experience. We are a family-oriented community organization where volunteers have an opportunity to participate in a safe and welcoming atmosphere. About 300 volunteers provide year round support, including at our Labour Day weekend Festival. We recognize the essential contribution of our volunteers and applaud their efforts!
For high school aged volunteers, we are able to coordinate with school board personnel to count volunteer hours towards completion of curriculum requirements for community service – we have many families that volunteer together.
In return for your volunteer hours and a $10 payment which helps to provide for all volunteers and their needs on site, you will receive:
- complimentary weekend admission to the Festival (option to camp)
- a meal ticket for Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast, lunch & dinner, Sunday breakfast and lunch – plus an invitation to our closing volunteer BBQ Sunday
- an official Volunteer T-shirt sourced from an ethical supplier (please note it is essential for all volunteers to wear during their shift).
If at any time you have questions about the volunteer process or the positions available, you are welcome to contact the Volunteer Co-ordinator Elizabeth Henkel-Thomas at email@example.com or 905-375-9168.
If you are interested in a lead Yellow Shirt role please reach out and connect with us at any time of year, to learn about the guidelines and process to become a member of the year round Operating Committee.
Who Are Our Volunteers?
- Our volunteers come from far and wide from many regions, provinces and even other countries!
- Our volunteers are 16 or older… or, aged 14 or 15 and volunteering alongside their parent or guardian.
- For some roles, a “police reference” document is needed and note: plan on several weeks to obtain.
What You Should Consider Before Signing Up
- Your payment of $10 (includes HST/therefore not a donation) helps us cover costs including a Volunteer T-Shirt which is essential to wear during your shift.
- Festival weekend roles need a commitment of 12 hours or more, pre-Festival roles 24 hours minimum.
- If your pre-Festival role takes less than 24 hours you will be asked to help by volunteering on “short shifts” during the Festival.
- Animals/Pets cannot be brought to the Festival with you or kept in volunteer cars or campers as we are guests on a private site. Please help us keep this promise to our hosts. (Registered service dogs welcome – please advise when signing up.)
- Our site is a sloping farmer's field with "rough field camping", bulk water and no showers.
- While we offer a variety of foods including vegetarian, if you have special needs or favourite foods please bring, or we hope you will also support our community’s Public Food vendors to add to your choices.
- We invite you to visit all of our web site pages to learn more about SVFF and our festival.
- Read through our "Volunteer Roles List” (previous year volunteers sign up through April, new volunteer sign up opens later in May).
- Click on sign up. If you're unsure what job you'd like to do, click on the "Send me roles" option to help where we need it the most!
- Email questions to our Volunteer Co-ordinator Elizabeth Henkel-Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org, call her at 905-375-9168, or mail us SVFF Volunteer, c/o PO Box 29, Grafton, ON, K0K 2G0.
- Please note, SVFF reserves the right to decline a volunteer's application.
- Once registered, you’ll receive a return email or call confirming your choices.
- Be patient, our volunteer Operating Committee (Yellow Shirts) and Crew Chiefs learn of your interest and then will contact you as they work through the roles in their areas.
- Volunteer sign up is open right up to the Festival - don't hesitate to contact us!